Saturday, January 10, 2015

"Outlaw" by Angus Donald

Well, nuts.  I'm really disappointed by this book.  It started out promisingly, with interesting characters, great historical detail, and some original takes on various characters from the Robin Hood legend.  It begins with Alan Dale joining Robin Hood's band as a young teen, and at first I thought it was going to be a YA book.  But things got adult pretty quickly.  And the truth is, I will read a book with bad language in it, and I'll read a book with violence in it.  I will even read books where characters have sex, as long as the sex isn't described in explicit, salacious detail. Sadly, this was too explicit for me to read in good conscience.  I skimmed through the first objectionable scene and kept reading, hoping that would be the end of such stuff, but eventually I realized it wasn't, so I had to stop.

And I'm so disappointed that the author chose to include all that smut, because I was very invested in the characters and intrigued by the plot, and now I'll never get to find out how Donald resolved everything.  Boo.

The good news is, I don't have this taking up space on my shelves anymore!  

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  R.  Explicit sex, very bad language, torture, violence, and pagan rituals.  I absolutely do not recommend this book.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you, Hamlette. It's always disappointing when a good story is ruined by unnecessary salacious details. (I feel the same about movies, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I own certain movies on VHS so I can tape over unnecessary distastefulness and still enjoy the rest of the movie.

      Delete
  2. Couldn't you skip to the last chapter and find out the ending? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am tempted! I didn't actually recycle it yet, so could dig it out of the bin and see. But... I think I'm just going to move on. I'm more interested in the "how" than the "what" of things getting resolved, so just reading the end wouldn't help much.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)